By Kathy Barco,Valerie Nye
* Tells the tales of librarians who withstood tricky situations to champion highbrow freedom
* Touches on prickly concerns comparable to age-appropriateness, a few librarians’ temptation to preemptively censor, delicate cultural expressions, and illegal activity within the library
* offers case reviews of defenses that have been unsuccessful, so librarians dealing with comparable demanding situations can research from those defeats
There are fewer events extra tense in a librarian's expert existence than being in my view faced with a requirement to take away a e-book from the cabinets or no longer realizing how you can reply to other forms of censorship demanding situations. examining this booklet can help improve and tell these within the fray.
Read Online or Download True Stories of Censorship Battles in America's Libraries PDF
Similar library & information science books
Librarians can use this e-book to turn into leaders of their faculties, participating with academics to maintain them abreast of assets that may facilitate the inclusion of STEM within the curriculum. • bargains 5 library classes for every STEM topic according to a mentor textual content and a lesson for the taking part instructor• presents a booktalk to curiosity the scholars and a "Book Time" part that permits for analyzing all or components of the booklet followed via a common dialogue• exhibits the diversity of grades for which every lesson is such a lot suitable and the way it may be tailored• contains a photograph organizer (GO Chart) with each one lesson, in addition to recommendations for assessing the lesson
The interval in Europe referred to as the Belle Epoque was once a time of shiny and unsettling modernization in social and political association, in inventive and literary lifestyles, and within the behavior and discoveries of the sciences. those developments, and the emphasis on internationalization that characterised them, necessitated the advance of recent constructions and approaches for locating, disseminating, manipulating and coping with entry to details.
“Advanced know-how is indistinguishable from magic. ” --Arthur C. ClarkeThis well-researched ebook is smart of the hot advances in digital prone and assets on hand to technological know-how and expertise libraries. it is going to familiarize you with the most recent assortment improvement, reference provider, and knowledge provider applied sciences.
Ethics and Values in Librarianship: A background addresses the techniques of improvement of library and data sciences, mostly yet no longer solely in a western context. It specializes in the field’s ethics and values. right here, Wallace Koehler, a number one researcher within the sector of data ethics, debunks the present suggestion that library and data technology innovations and ethics have and stay consistent.
- Information Professionals' Career Confidential: Straight Talk and Savvy Tips
- The Art of Storytelling: Telling Truths Through Telling Stories
- People, Places, Checkmates: Teaching Social Studies with Chess
- The ALA Book of Library Grant Money, Ninth Edition
- Give Us a Dollar and We'll Give You Back Four (2012-13)
- Currents of Archival Thinking, 2nd Edition
Extra resources for True Stories of Censorship Battles in America's Libraries