By Peter Byrne,Leslie Houlden,Rev Prof Leslie Houlden
The Companion Encyclopedia of Theology presents a complete advisor to trendy theological idea. a world staff of theologians and practitioners of either the Christian and Jewish faiths examine and view points of theology in forty eight self-contained articles. Neither partisan and denominational, nor indifferent and summary, this Companion explores the assets and purposes of theology within the mild of Christianity's position within the sleek world.
The Companion Encyclopedia of Theology is split into six elements. the 1st 3 take care of significant foundational features of Western theological reflection:
* the Hebrew and Christian Bible
* the Tradition
* the contribution of Philosophy
The moment half the Companion is worried with application:
* relating to Spirituality
* relating to modern Ethics
* relating to concerns in and features of present-day theological construction
The forty eight essays are descriptive, informative and analytical; their wide-ranging content material is sure right into a unified viewpoint by means of the editors' common advent and the introductions to every of the six components. on the finish of every article, there are feedback for additional analyzing and the paintings is concluded with a entire index.
This Companion Encyclopedia is a precious resource of reference for college students, lecturers and either lay and clerical practitioners of Christian and Jewish theology.
* vast insurance - includes forty eight in-depth essays protecting either the historical past and alertness of Western theological thought
* foreign Authorship - written in non-technical language through a distinctive crew of editors and authors from either Christian and Jewish faiths
* Balanced method - discusses and analyses the main concerns with out enforcing any unmarried viewpoint
* truly offered - on the finish of every article, there are feedback for extra analyzing and the paintings features a finished index
Read or Download Companion Encyclopedia of Theology (Routledge Companion Encyclopedias) PDF
Best christian theology books
What makes us open to secret, to glimpses of the Transcendent in our day-by-day lives? the facility of the mind's eye, based on Sandra Levy -- an influence that has been heavily depleted in ultra-modern postmodern tradition. to deal with and redress this case, Levy first explores how the mind's eye expresses itself -- via ritual, tune, poetry, paintings, and tale -- after which makes a speciality of particular practices that could workout and improve our non secular means, therefore commencing us as much as divine come upon.
What might occur if Christians and a Muslim at a school talked and disagreed, yet quite attempted to appreciate one another? What could they research? that's the interesting query Peter Kreeft seeks to reply to in those innovative conversations at Boston collage. An articulate and interesting Muslim pupil named 'Isa demanding situations the Christian scholars and professors he meets on matters starting from prayer and worship to evolution and abortion, from struggle and politics to the character of religious fight and non secular submission.
Venerated in 2006 as a "Year's most sensible e-book for Preachers" through Preaching journal. Why a look for the soul? Many Christians think that it's biblically trustworthy and theologically noncontroversial to talk of people having a soul. but a variety of biblical students are wondering no matter if we have now properly understood what the Bible potential while it speaks of the "soul.
St. Robert Bellarmine's theological writings at the Church of Christ represent a useful treasure not just for Catholics, yet for the commonweal and everlasting salvation of humanity itself. this is often no moderate exaggeration. His is the first actual autonomous theological and dogmatic treatise at the Church.
- Violence, Hospitality, and the Cross: Reappropriating the Atonement Tradition
- Conscience: What It Is, How to Train It, and Loving Those Who Differ
- Beyond Fideism: Negotiable Religious Identities (Transcending Boundaries in Philosophy and Theology)
- God and Evolution? - The Implications of Darwin's Theory for Fundamentalism, the Bible and the Meaning of Life
Additional resources for Companion Encyclopedia of Theology (Routledge Companion Encyclopedias)